Sunday, February 10, 2013

Care Package Decorating

Okay over the last few days I've had a few people ask me how I decorate the care packages I send to Dick. So I thought I'd go ahead and write a blog about it and show exactly what I do and go into more detail on how I decorate them. So here is it.

First of all I usually get the Large flat rate USPS boxes for the APO/FPO addresses. They are free from the post office and you get a discount when mailing to an APO or FPO address. The shipping just went up last time I went to the post office and it was $14 and some change. Now you get free tracking BUT that only tracks until the military gets ahold of it. After that its in the military's hands and USPS has no control over it. You can get these boxes for free at your post office or call USPS and can have them send you a military pack. I've been getting the boxes from my post office though because the pack comes with a lot of stuff I don't use or need & I don't wanna waste it. If you are going to get the boxes from your post office go ahead and pick up some customs forms while you are there so you can fill them out ahead of time and save yourself time & headache at the post office. And I'm sure they & the other customers will love you for it. :)

I try to come up with a theme for each care package. Most of them won't be my own original theme. But he doesn't know that. Not that I try to take the credit but I'm not gonna be like "Oh I found this idea at such and such place." He doesn't really care. I think the themes make them a lot more fun to shop for and put together but even if I don't do a theme I decorate them. Now THIS is the fun part. I start by picking out what kind of duck tape I want. I usually coordinate it to my box in some way. And duck brand has a TON to choose from. You can even order it online to get just about any kind you could ever want or need. I usually get mine from Walmart. They have a pretty good selection over in the home repair section and some in the arts & craft section as well. I tape up the bottom of my box along the seam and across it. Then I tape over that with clear packing tape. I think packing tape holds better but I like the little bit of extra look that the duck tape gives it. 


After the box is all put together I start decorating it. I usually either use 12x12 card stock, 12x12 scrapbook paper or wrapping paper. When I use wrapping paper, my go-to wrapping paper is usually the paper in the dollar bins at Target. They have lots of cute designs that you can by a lot of different rolls at once since its only $1. 

I usually only decorate the flaps of the box. The inside is covered so I feel like its a waste. If you use the 12x12 paper 2 sheets will over both flaps. If you are worried about not cutting it right after its applied, or are wanting to write on it, just measure 6 inch in and cut there. I always make a few marks where 6 in. is and draw a line using a ruler so I know its all straight. And I used to write on the paper after it was applied to the box but now I do it before. I think it's easier and looks nicer. Plus if you mess up you are only wasting the paper and not the tape too. Which leads me to... I use Scotch double sided adhesive roller to apply the papers. 
I've used a lot of different things including regular glue, glue sticks, double sided tape and packing tape. And this is what I've found works best. Its holds up well, doesn't bubble up your paper & is easy to apply. One adhesive roller will do a little over one box with how I tape it. I just run it along all 4 edges of each flap.  To decorate the pages I have printed stuff out on my computer and cut it out and put it on the wrapping paper and wrote directly on the card stock. And some I just leave plain. I bought a program to print out the outline of letters to put on there but have yet to use it. I'll let ya know if I do & how I like it. If I glue the computer paper onto the card stock or wrapping paper I usually use a glue stick. 
When I write on the papers I use permanent markers. The colored markers I have right now are the Bic Mark Its. I like them. I think they work just as well as the sharpies but were cheaper. And then I also bought the metallic sharpies. I love those for the dark papers and just to add a little "pop" to the decor. You could also use stickers to decorate the boxes. I just haven't because stickers can get pricey and I know he's just gonna throw it away anyways. 


After I'm all done I usually add in a card or letter from me and/or our boys. Then I make out my customs form while its still open so I don't forget whats in it & its filled out before I go to the post office. Then I tape it up with the coordinating duck tape and again with clear packing tape. 
After its all taped up I print off an address label for him. I have his address saved on my computer and I just change the font on each one. Each label is just printed out on regular printer paper. I have it taking up 1/2 of the page so I get 2 labels per sheet. I also have actual sticker address labels for me. I stick on the one for my address and lay out the other one. You could add a dab of glue or adhesive to keep it where you want it. Then I tape over all that with clear packing tape again. I make sure the entire label is covered.  Then I know the address is in place & not going anywhere. I also know that if the box gets damp for any reason (someone else's package leaking, rain, whatever) the address wont smudge or smear. 
Then I'm all ready to go to the post office WITH CUSTOMS FORM IN HAND. In the military pack they send you the little envelopes to put them in. I never use those. I let the post office worker put it on where it needs to go. Plus they have to stamp each part of the customs form so I dont know why they even send you that part. Having the customs form filled out makes it quick, easy, and relatively painless. 
And I am in no way suggesting you need to do it my way or that you even need to theme or decorate your care packages at all. Its just something I enjoy doing and have gotten asked HOW I do it so here it is. In detail. :)



*NONE of these pictures are mine. They were all found on Google Images 








2 comments: